Each project, program or event, like a process plant turnaround, is a mission. To complete this mission you need a complete ‘mission delivery stack’. This stack has 4 levels or elements: Processes, People, Platform and Technology. We review each of these levels of the ‘mission delivery stack’ and discuss their contribution to the success of the mission. We also discuss how the common platform delivers all of these levels in a single service.
Successful mission completion requires to have a road map. This led to the development of Procedures for managing projects. Similarly, local, national and global regulatory agencies also have mandatory requirements that add to project mission delivery procedures.
Effective project management requires all elements of the stack to build continuity in data collection and between teams. This seamless operation delivers a low cost, low friction, and highly efficient environment for project managers. We call it the ‘common platform’. We’ll review each element of the stack and its place within the common platform.
As already stated, the Procedure is the first point of engagement for a project management team. This set of documents details the all of the Processes required to complete specified Deliverables in each Stage of the project lifecycle. So the first element of the Delivery Stack that we review is Processes.
In 2021, most process plants, facilities and mines, still depend on written procedures to drive daily work flow. These procedures stipulate a list of detailed Process steps to to accomplished in a defined sequence. Sign-offs of each Process signals a completion of a step.
Process sign-off by Responsible and Accountable roles trigger notifications to the next Responsible role for the next process step. A turnaround project has tens of thousands of such process steps attached to thousands of deliverables. A recent survey indicated that each work package has a minimum of 50 signoffs over the 5 stages of its lifespan. Multiply these by the hundreds of packages in the scope and you can see the massive scale of data collection that’s required.
A common platform, suitably configured for business process flow, serves as a central place to accomplish the digitization of your processes. The following benefits accrue from this:
- Ensure quick on-boarding as no uncertainty about the definitive process for your project managers and their teams, as they are in a single, common location;
- Enable the use of Notifications to move the ball to the next Roles for the next process step;
- Satisfy regulatory overview requirements with the audit trail of all sign-offs ;
- Reduce communication-related ‘friction’ between teams;
- Prevent uncompleted, ignored or glossed-over process steps;
- Use lessons learned to modify processes.
The common platform must seamlessly assimilate newly-identified processes.
The common platform is as good as the number of processes that it includes. Here is a partial list of processes to completely support your project teams:
- 5 Stage workflow support
- Quantitative and Qualitative Risk Assessment of scope packages
- Risk Assessment Thresholds for inclusion of scope in the turnaround scope
- Planning of Steps with Logic in support of building a CPM schedule
- Estimating of required crafts, equipment, materials, supplies, small tools and services
- Requisitioning, Bidding Process, Contracts, including Purchase Orders, Warehouse, Receiving, Rentals
- EVM-based progress measurement, Contractor Time tracking
- Lessons Learned processing, Benchmarking data
- Algorithms to enforce business rules and to reduce repetitive data entry
The right People assigned to the right roles ensure completion of Processes. Without people, Projects languish. This is why People is the next element of the mission delivery stack.
The Project, Program or Event Manager is the leader. And they require many people to support them. This includes people within the project, and people from supporting departments. And they may need to work with a Steering team. Also they need to provide feedback to, and solicit guidance from, external stakeholders like regulatory agencies, owners, benchmarking firms, etc.
Project teams start out small and quickly grow as the Execution date gets closer. A recent turnaround had a staff of 300 during execution, after starting with an event manager and 2 planners two years earlier. Clearly, you don’t want to be ‘herding cats’. As with Processes, the common platform is the cleanest way to provide a ‘place at the table’ for everyone on the team.
Also, remember that processes need people in sign-off roles. This link between People and Processes adds even more relevancy to the need for a common platform.
Imagine being able to have all members of the team in your common platform, including those from:
- Inspection / QA/QC
- Safety and Health
- Steering Team
Imagine using dedicated portals for your vendors and contractors to respond to requests for bids. Or knowing that a required equipment is going to delay the turnaround. These, and many other wins are available simply by using the common platform. So, let’s now look at exactly what the common Platform is.
Processes and People both benefit from use of the same common platform. What this means is that people have apps that focus on their role-based processes. These dedicated apps enable completion of responsibilities in accordance with the sequence defined in the Procedure. Apps must provide familiar interactions to users.
In 2021, all users have their own smart devices. The common platform echoes the user experience (UX) of these devices. Additional benefits of the common platform include:
- Single go-to place to build and manage all components of a strategy, including: stages, deliverables, processes and role assignments;
- Real time use of Processes drives and tracks actions, including sign-offs;
- Near-instant process improvement by assimilation of Lessons Learned into the single common platform;
- No code/Low Code metadata framework enables quick responses to new needs like new processes or roles;
- Spreadsheet-like tabs with drilldowns and roll-up grouping is intuitive and easily learned;
- Role-based security ensures that the right data is available only to specified roles and groups;
- Change management and history tracking enables auditing of each process step;
- ‘No place to hide’ ensures transparency that leads to improved team morale.
The common Platform has to exist somewhere. It needs a Technology foundation.
For the platform to deliver, it needs a foundation of solid technology. Fortunately, in 2021, the technology stack available for this purpose provides game-changing benefits, including:
- Being Low friction and easy to use – as people expect this in their app-driven mobile world;
- Ensuring Cloud-accessible scalability with high performance regardless of size of the project, program or event;
- Use of virtual machines enables reduced infrastructure costs;
- Secure delivery to multiple browsers and apps on multiple platforms;
- Integration with legacy systems like ERPs and CMMS.
The advent of cloud-based services brings with it drastic reduction in development and infrastructure costs. This is truly a win-win scenario for Project, Program and Event teams: Getting more quality for less money.
So, where do you find such a common platform and why is it the right way to go? Let’s look at the TeamWork Common Platform
TeamWork Common Platform
TeamWork Common Platform links decades of lessons learned with 2021 technology. And our value proposition is based on on-site experiences at over 40 different sites and companies. Our time in this business makes us familiar with your pain points. So we now offer you a common platform with the following aspects:
- Unlimited users, apps and tech support – included in service fee
- Fixed service plan
No longer do you have to choose between building your own solution and buying from what’s available on the shelf. The TeamWork Common Platform does not penalize you for wanting to improve a process.
No longer do you need to depend on 3rd party add-ons for special purpose functionality, like scheduling or estimating. TeamWork Common Platform delivers needed functionality using algorithmic short cuts to ensure more quality at less cost.
If TeamWork Group was new venture you would be right to question these claims. But we are a 24 year company that has evolved during the period that overlaps the evolution of other industry titans in the cloud. Our technology reflects the same DNA. This leads to scalability, security, low cost, and high data quality that underpins believable analytics.
Get a hold of us now. www.teamworkgroup.com
Or email us at: CustomerSupport@teamworkgroup.com